Hiring good people isn’t easy, and hanging onto them is just as difficult. When you find the right person, offer an excellent benefits package.
By Gale Associates Inc. Best Firm #4 Multidiscipline for 2016
Recruitment and retention play a big part in the success of any professional services firm. Recruiting individuals with specific experience, the ability to positively interact with our clients, and thrive in our corporate culture is no small feat. When we do find the right person and invest in their training, we want to retain them. We are constantly reviewing and enhancing our benefits in an effort to compete with other companies to acquire and keep the best talent out there.
Recruitment techniques. Gale’s recruitment techniques include using headhunters and placement agencies, attending college fairs, placing ads in industry publications and on websites, and giving referral bonuses to our employees. We encourage all of our employees to be active in industry groups, leading to new contacts and possible future employees. We highlight our benefits, impressive project experience, and positive, supportive culture on our website. Gale is active on social media and uses LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and the Gale blog to cast a wider net and reach more people. Employees are encouraged to write and publish articles, and give educational presentations at various conferences. Not only does this enhance our influence among our client groups, it also increases our visibility among potential candidates.
Benefits, incentives, and retention:
- Insurance. First day health, dental, life, and disability coverage.
- Vacation accrual. Three weeks, four weeks, and five weeks based on years of service.
- Sick time. Eight days per year with 100 percent buyback for unused time.
- 401(k). Matches up to 3 percent of annual, eligible compensation.
- Profit sharing. Structured to reward longevity within the firm.
- Training and tuition reimbursement. 100 percent up to $5,000 annually plus technical and business training based on staff’s career path.
- Dependent care. Tax free contribution up to $5,000 per year to assist with the high cost of child care.
- Bonus program and profit distribution. Based on firm profitability, including a 53rd week of salary, and incentives for utilization goals.
- Corporate culture. Employees spend a lot of time at work. For staff to want to come to work, it can’t be all work. Our active Human Resources Committee plans, schedules, and hosts events including an annual clambake, several cookouts, our annual Halloween party, bowling outings, indoor golf tournaments, Las Vegas nights, lunches, breakfasts, and cocktail parties. We also have a great tradition of holding a family/children’s holiday party with gifts, entertainment, and refreshments every December.
- Charity. Giving back to our community is a priority at Gale. We hold an annual pajama drive for children taken into the Department of Children and Family’s care. We hold can drives. We collect toys for needy children and gifts for teens during the holidays. Gale compensates employees for eight hours of community service performed during the work week. Employees can choose their own charities.
- Community. We also foster and embrace a strong sense of caring at Gale. When an employee is going through a tough time, we help in any way we can with transportation costs, food delivery, etc.