Michigan firm takes the extra steps to create a family atmosphere, and that translates into employee retention, quality work, and client satisfaction.
By TowerPinkster Best Firm #1 Architecture for 2016
Our firm culture is at the center of all we do and is what makes TowerPinkster unique! Our positive, fun work environment is a major factor in our ability to retain top talent, produce quality work, and exceed client expectations. Every employee takes part in defining who we are and what we do, and this philosophy has created (what we like to call) a “family” culture.
To help build and sustain this family culture, we rely on both our Culture Advisory Action Team and our leadership team. The CAAT committee, consisting of employees from various backgrounds and disciplines, meets monthly to brainstorm culture-building ideas and plan activities. Through various endeavors our team members establish strong bonds and personal connections with one another. The CAAT group develops programs and procedures, such as:
- Employee surveys. Various surveys are hosted throughout the year to understand the needs, desires, and interests of all our team members.
- Incentive-based wellness program. Employees participate in our Wellness Reimbursement program to receive incentives and support for many health-related activities.
- Monthly lunch events. All employees enjoy lunch together which offers opportunities to socialize and connect. We often play games like trivia, compete in races, and perform office scavenger hunts. We also have cook-offs and baking competitions.
- Family-friendly events. We have organized family-friendly events, such as office trick-or-treating, family picnics, and hockey and baseball game outings.
- Other contests/activities. We hold walking challenges, and Halloween costume and pumpkin carving contests, and even an ugly sweater contest during the holidays.
We believe that focusing on our family culture has resulted in high employee retention because people truly enjoy coming to work every day. Of course, we must also produce quality results, which require highly skilled, motivated, and passionate employees. To accomplish this strategy, we take a talent-focused approach to developing individuals and teams. At the core of this philosophy is an annual team training event. We close the office for an entire day and through our partnership with an outside leadership development and team-building consultant, the day is spent creating personal connections, strengthening teamwork, increasing our communication and building leadership skills.
At the individual level, we incorporate the use of strength assessments to reveal each employee’s top strengths. We aim to amplify those strengths and align them to the individual’s role, responsibilities, and passions. Our STEPS program (Strength and Talent Enhancement Performance System) is designed with a forward-thinking approach. Personal and professional goals, in addition to company goals, are created annually to ensure employees are challenged and have the support they need to be successful.
We have made our company culture deliberate by giving every employee the chance to provide input, offer feedback, and be an active participant in the creation of our family culture.