- Documentation. Better documentation in Revit is achieved through an extensive template. The 3D database contains prebuilt elements that can be added to any project and be manipulated to fit specific project needs. From hardscape elements to small structures to landscape items, these preloaded elements help cut down on time spent drafting as well as overall project time. As we all know, time is money.
- Once the element is associated with a callout, all 3D elements continually update on every drawing sheet and schedule matrix. Client revisions that normally take tedious amounts of work and time can be revised in one location and automatically update through the entire drawing set.
- Revit quickly generates the framework of plans, sections, and elevations directly from your built model, reducing the amount of drafting and modeling errors. In addition, working with consultant teams is streamlined since Revit exposes complex conditions that are often overlooked until later in the process.
- Coordination. Three-dimensional models, rather than two-dimensional plans, provide a clearer picture of the project for both clients and consultants. The 3D element also helps consultants fully understand constraints and opportunities early in the design process.
- Models from all disciplines can be linked together in one complete model. This simplifies the need for adjustments and manipulation to other consultant teams’ base work. Subconsultant overlap in scope or clashes in the documentation are caught early in the process. As a result, there will be fewer RFIs, clarifications, and direction during the construction phase.
- Unlike other CAD design software, Revit has the capability to work in a cloud-based system called “BIM360.” Life has been very different, chaotic, and unexpected in the last few months with the COVID-19 pandemic. In this season of crisis, working from home is becoming the necessary means to keep businesses going while still adhering to government and CDC mandates. Since the program is cloud- based, projects in BIM360 only require an internet connection, as the model is not stored on a singular server. There are companies that provide training and organizational help to facilitate a smooth transition from CAD to 3D Revit. Using BIM360 has helped us stay well-coordinated with our design team while maintaining a faster production pace than working from a VPN. The flexibility of using BIM 360 has and will continue to be useful in the future.
Revit and the design industry
Jun 08, 2020
The tools that Revit provides have the power to help firms save time and money, while improving the quality of the final product. Throughout the AEC industry, Revit has continually proven to be a powerful tool that has changed the way we collaborate internally and between disciplines. Even though the program was initially designed for architecture, MEP, and structural engineering, the tools that Revit provides have the power to help landscape architects save time and money, while improving the quality of the final product. We have seen Revit streamline our workflow and help our bottom line through:
About Zweig Group
Zweig Group, three times on the Inc. 500/5000 list, is the industry leader and premiere authority in AEC firm management and marketing, the go-to source for data and research, and the leading provider of customized learning and training. Zweig Group exists to help AEC firms succeed in a complicated and challenging marketplace through services that include: Mergers & Acquisitions, Strategic Planning, Valuation, Executive Search, Board of Director Services, Ownership Transition, Marketing & Branding, and Business Development Training. The firm has offices in Dallas and Fayetteville, Arkansas.